Monday, March 3, 2008

Keep out of the reach of children

There's a reason manufacturers put that on their products. Let me just say that it is really good advice. Here's how I know. This past weekend we were visiting with my mom. On Saturday during rest time, we actually thought that Claxton was resting. He was quiet for the most part and every now and then I heard him talking, but nothing out of the ordinary. There was a long period of time that I thought he was probably asleep, then I heard talking again. So I figured a sufficient amount of time had passed and I would get him up so he could play. I opened the door and just stood and stared with my mouth agape. He stared back at me. You could have heard a pin drop. I just kept staring in disbelief and in my mind I was trying to figure out exactly what had happened. His face was covered in it, his clothes were covered in it, his hair was covered in it. I moved in for a closer look. His hands and his beloved Firedog and Dog were covered in it. The sheet and the sides of the pack and play were also covered. I still did not know what it was at this point. Another step closer and the odor hit me - Butt Paste. I surmised that he had been able to reach the bag that contained all of his toiletries and he had dumped the entire contents into his bed and then began his masterpiece. And when I thought it could not get any worse, I saw other items that had been pulled into the bed - two of my hairbrushes, my hair dryer, several throw pillows that were in a chair next to him. I cannot even begin to express just how stunned I was. Obviously I didn't notice anything that I really thought he would bother when he was supposed to be resting. HUGE mistake. Because we have to buy so much of this stuff, we always purchase the 16 oz container...and of course it was a brand new jar. When I found it underneath all the stuff it was COMPLETELY EMPTY. He smeared it everywhere he could possibly reach. EVERYWHERE. Our luggage and two of Brian's shirts even got a few spots. We knew from previous experience that this product stains and the label states same. However, we are always very careful with it. The label also states that it helps seal out wetness. And rest assured that when 16 oz has been smeared everywhere, you better believe it seals out wetness. We could not find a cleaning agent to break the Butt Paste. Almost everything had to be thrown away. Our trip ended up being far more costly than anticipated. Bet I won't make this mistake again. And when Claxton gets old enough to get an allowance we may just have to remind him that he's already spent it. "Remember the time you smeared butt paste everywhere..."

2 comments:

amy said...

Oh my goodness! I will have to say that is one thing that Bentley has never done. I think I would have thrown most everything away as well...even if you could have gotten it off--it would have been hard to get rid of the smell. I couldn't imagine brushing my hair to that smell!

Anonymous said...

wow.that really sucks, but really I have to ask, there is no picture documentation of this? How will you ever use this against the boy?